You know those people who never leave northwest DC or whatever other small area of the District they have carved out as their own? I have been guilty of this in the past (and still rarely venture into Virginia or Maryland, I am sorry to say). I’m also very guilty of this behavior in my beer-buying life. I tend to visit my same corner convenience liquor store when I need a 6-pack, and at that store I am faced with nearly the same selection each week.
It’s hard to know what you’re missing when you never go looking for it, and we were certain the #dcbrews community has had some experience in finding the perfect gem of a craft beer store or department that the rest of us beer savvy Washingtonians could capitalize on. We were right. As one of our Friday questions, we asked you where you go to find great beer and why. And you answered!
You can see the full Storify of your responses to our Friday below, but we have also put together a short guide to some great places to find a 6-pack, 750mL, or growler of your favorite brew. Variety, quality, knowledge, and freshness were several key factors in the picks highlighted below. Our Twitter followers contributed greatly along with the DCBeer team.
Our picks are organized by the most-mentioned favorites, and then highlighted by area of town. If a dinner party or gathering is bringing you to an unfamiliar part of town, be sure to check out the “Other Favorites” section for a quick recommendation on where to pick up some good brews on your way!
What did we miss? If you have a favorite shop at which to buy beer in the District or its surrounding suburbs, let us know in the comments! Away we go!
Whole Foods Market P Street
1440 P Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
Hours: Open Daily from 9am-10:30pm (for beer and wine sales)
Why People Like It: Great knowledge from the beer buyer, unique brews, ever-changing selection of great, fresh beer with good prices
Pro-Tip: See our post tomorrow for an extensive interview with Whole Foods P Street’s Beer Buyer, Randy Kuczor!
4508 Lee Highway
Arlington, VA 22207
Hours: Mon-Sat: 10am-8pm; Sun: 11am-5pm
3103 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20010
Growler Hours: M-Th: 12:30-9:30pm; Fri-Sat: 12:30-10:30pm; Sun: 12:30-8:30pm
Why People Like It: Great growler prices and a wide variety of beers on tap
Pro-Tip: Check out the 14 beers they have on draft for growler fills at their website (www.dvinesdc.com). Some 64oz growler refills are on sale from 5-8 on Thursdays.
5100 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Hours: Mon-Sat: 9am-9:30pm; Sun: 10am-7pm
Why People Like It: great selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff, fresh beer at good prices, great selection of international beers
Pro-Tip: Search their beer shop (including prices) online at www.rodmans.com/beer
Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquors
1529 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036
Hours: Open Daily from 9:30am-10pm
Why People Like It: friendly, great selection (including some beers that are unavailable most places in DC), convenient location (right off the Dupont Circle Metro)
GRAPE + BEAN–Rosemont
2 East Walnut Street
Alexandria, VA 22301
Hours: Tues: 11:30am-8pm; W-F: 11:30am-10pm; Sat: 9am-10pm; Sun: 11am-6pm
Pro-tip: Sign up for the weekly beer e-mail newsletter to see what’s on tap, what new beers are coming out, etc.
Other Favorites by Neighborhood
District of Columbia
- De Vinos at 2001 18th Street NW
- The Cupboard at 1504 E. Capitol St. NE
- Magruder’s of DC at 5926 Connecicut Ave. NW
- Broad Branch Market at 5608 Broad Branch Rd. NW
- Chevy Chase Wine & Spirits at 5544 Connecticut Ave. NW
- Glen’s Garden Market at 2001 S St. NW
- 1 West DuPont Circle Wines & Liquors at 2012 P St. NW
- Cairo Wine & Liquor at 1618 17th St. NW
- DCanter at 545 8th St. SE
- Whole Foods Market at 2323 Wisconsin Ave. NW
- Harry’s Reserve at 909 New Jersey Ave. SE.
- Lion’s Fine Wine & Spirits at 3614 Georgia Ave. NW
- Trader Joe’s at 1914 14th St. NW
- Batch 13 at 1724 at 1724 14th St. NW
- U Street Wine and Beer at 1351 U Street NW
Tenleytown/Van Ness/Cleveland Park?
- Van Ness Wines and Liquor at 4201 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Whole Foods Tenleytown at 4530 40th St. NW
- Cleveland Park Liquor and Fine Wines at 3423 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Sherry’s Wine & Spirits at 2627 Connecticut Ave. NW
- Dominion Wine & Beer at 107 Rowell Ct., Falls Church
- Market 2 Market at 116 E. Del Ray Ave., Alexandria
- Planet Wine at 2000 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria
- K-1 Beer and Wine at 2516 Columbia Pike, Arlington
Old Town Alexandria?
- Whole Foods Old Town Alexandria at 1700 Duke St.
- Red Apron Butchery at 8298 Glass Alley, Fairfax
- Lost Dog Cafe at 2729 Merrilee Drive, Fairfax
- Fenwick Beer & Wine at 1327 Fenwick Lane in Silver Spring, MA.