Belgian brewers pay tribute to Saint Arnold every August, which includes inducting beer professionals into the Knighthood of the Brewers’ Mash Staff shortly thereafter. DC is no stranger to this award, which includes Right Proper’s Thor Cheston, Belga Cafe’s Bart Vandaele, Bill Catron of D’Vines and Brasserie Beck, and Dave Alexander of the Brickskeller, among others. Indeed, the District boasts more knights than any other US city. The knighting ceremony usually takes place in Brussels, but in 2023, there are two locations, one of which is in Washington, DC.
On Thursday, May 4, at the Belgian Ambassador’s residence, a first-ever US ceremony is being held, and with beer luminaries in attendance, the Neighborhood Restaurant Group has decided to take advantage. “With so many Belgian brewers in town, why not make an event of it,” notes NRG Beer Director and Partner Greg Engert. Enter The Belgian Brewers’ Bash, taking place on Saturday, May 6, across two sessions. The Bash features over thirty Belgian breweries, each bringing two beers, and about one-third of the beers have never been formally poured Stateside.
The beer list has yet to be finalized, but will focus on “the classics,” says Engert. “Belgian beer is the impetus for much of US craft beer, so many of us fell in love with those beers and inspired us, but imports have also been squeezed out, so consider this a reintroduction, if you will.”
This event also fills a void in the local beer calendar, as it falls near the oft-ignored American Craft Beer Week, and during a period in which SAVOR preparations would be underway. We’ll have more on the Bash, and other NRG ventures, soon. Details are below.
THE BELGIAN BREWERS’ BASH
On Saturday, May 6th, The Belgian Brewers’ Bash will host 30+ of Belgium’s top brewers at the United States’ most esteemed Belgian beer tasting event to date!
As part of Belgian Beer Week USA, and brought to you by the people behind ChurchKey, Snallygaster & The Sovereign, this event is the largest collection of Belgian owners, brewers & blenders to appear together at a single event this side of the Atlantic!
The Beer List: Featuring 60+ different beers from 30+ of Belgium’s best breweries – including many that have rarely, if ever, been poured in the US!
The Venue: Powerhouse is an intimate two-story venue that lies between the Georgetown Waterfront Park & the famous M Street shopping corridor. It is located within walking distance of DC’s world class Belgian beer bar, The Sovereign!
The Food: The Sovereign will provide a selection of Belgian snacks & street food (not included in ticket price).
The Vibe: A DJ will play a mix of modern hits & classic tunes over a state-of-the-art sound system in this newly renovated two-story modern industrial chic venue!
Tickets: Your ticket includes admission to one session, a commemorative tasting glass & unlimited Belgian beer samples.
Session #1 | 12:00 – 3:00 pm | $85
Session #2 | 4:00 – 7:00 pm | $85
The Brewery List:
- Duvel 6,66%, Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat (Blonde Ale with Six Hop Varietals / 6.66%; Draft)
- Gouden Carolus Cuvée van de Keizer Imperial Dark, BrouwerijHet Anker (Abt/ Grand Cru / 11.0%; Draft)
- Gouden Carolus Tripel, BrouwerijHet Anker (Tripel / 9.0%; Draft)
- Poker Face, BrouwerijHet Nest (Witbier / 5.5%; Draft)
- SchuppenBoer Tripel, BrouwerijHet Nest (Tripel / 8.0%; Draft)
- Westmalle Trappist Extra, BrouwerijWestmalle (Patersbier / 4.8%; Bottle Pour)
- Westmalle Trappist Tripel, BrouwerijWestmalle (Tripel / 9.5%; Bottle Pour)
- Pauwel Kwak, Brouwerij Bosteels (Pale Ale / 8.4%; Draft)
- Triple Karmeliet, Brouwerij Bosteels (Tripel / 8.4%; Draft)
- Vicaris Lino, Brouwerij Dilewyns (Blonde Ale with Flax / 6.5%; Draft)
- Vicaris Tripel/Gueuze, Brouwerij Dilewyns (Blend of Vicaris Tripel & Girardin Gueuze Lambic / 7.0%; Draft)
- Averbode, Brouwerij Huyghe (Dry-Hopped Strong Blonde Ale / 7.5%; Draft)
- Delirium Tremens, Brouwerij Huyghe (Strong Blonde Ale / 8.5%; Draft)
- Kerel Saison, Verbeeck-Back-De Cock Brewery (VBDCK) (Saison / 5.5%; Bottle Pour)
- Kerel Stout, Verbeeck-Back-De Cock Brewery (VBDCK) (Stout / 6.0%; Bottle Pour)
- Adriaen Brouwer Oaked, BrouwerijRoman (Sherry & Whisky Barrel-Aged Strong Dark Ale / 10.0%; Draft)
- Adriaen Brouwer Tripel, BrouwerijRoman (Tripel with Coriander & Curaçao Orange Peel / 9.0%; Draft)
- Troubadour Magma, BrouwerijThe Musketeers (Dry-Hopped Tripel / 9.0%; Draft)
- Troubadour Obscura, BrouwerijThe Musketeers (Stout / 8.2%; Bottle Pour)
- Gulden Draak Classic, Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Strong Dark Ale / 10.5%; Draft)
- Piraat, Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Strong Blonde Ale / 10.5%; Draft)
- Framboise Boon, BrouwerijBoon (Fruit Lambic with Raspberry / 5.0%; Draft)
- Geuze Boon Sélection, BrouwerijBoon (Keg-Conditioned Gueuze Lambic / 6.3%; Draft)
- Timmermans Lambicus Blanche, BrouwerijTimmermans (Spontaneously-Fermented Witbier / 4.5%; Draft)
- Lindemans Framboise, BrouwerijLindemans (Fruit Lambic with Raspberry / 2.5%; Draft)
- BrouwerijLindemans TBD
- Chimay 150 (Green), Brasserie deChimay (Strong Blonde Ale with Spices / 10.0%; Draft)
- Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue), Brasserie deChimay (Strong Dark Ale / 9.0%; Draft)
- Cuvée des Trolls, Brasserie Dubuisson, Hainaut (Strong Blonde Ale with Orange Peel / 7.0%; Draft)
- Pêche Mel Scaldis, Brasserie Dubuisson, Hainaut (Scaldis Amber Ale with Peach / 8.5%; Draft)
- Saint-Feuillien Grand Cru, Brasserie Saint-Feuillien (Strong Blonde Ale / 9.5%; Bottle Pour)
- Saint-Feuillien Tripel, Brasserie Saint-Feuillien (Tripel / 8.5%; Bottle Pour)
- Barrel-Aged Scotch Silly: Pinot Noir, Brasserie de Silly (Wine Barrel-Aged Scotch Ale / 10.0%; Draft)
- Stupid Silly Sour, Brasserie deSilly (Unblended Sour Dark Ale / 5.5%; Draft)
- Val-Dieu Cuvée 800, Brasserie de l’Abbaye duVal-Dieu (Dry-Hopped Pale Ale / 5.5%; Draft)
- Val-Dieu Triple, Brasserie de l’Abbaye duVal-Dieu (Tripel / 9.0%; Draft)
- Herkenrode Abbey Vesper, BrouwerijCornelissen (Tripel with Herbs / 9.0%; Draft)
- Limburgse Witte True Original, BrouwerijCornelissen (Witbier / 5.0%; Draft)
- Ter Dolen Kriek, Kasteelbrouwerij Ter Dolen (Sour Red Ale with Cherry, Coriander & Orange Peel / 4.5%; Draft)
- Ter Dolen Tripel, Kasteelbrouwerij Ter Dolen (Tripel / 8.1%; Draft)
- La Chouffe Blond, Brasserie d’Achouffe (Strong Blonde Ale / 8.0%; Draft)
- Orval Trappist Ale, Brasserie d’Orval (Dry-Hopped Pale Ale with Brettanomyces / 6.9%; Bottle Pour)
- Rochefort Trappistes 8, Brasserie deRochefort (Strong Dark Ale / 9.2%; Bottle Pour)
- Rochefort Trappistes Triple Extra, Brasserie deRochefort (Tripel / 8.1%; Bottle Pour)