Today, ANXO Cidery & Pintxos Bar (300 Florida Avenue NW) embarks on an eventful Women’s Month that will feature 14 events. All month long, ANXO will exclusively pour products made and owned by women and feature female artists, businesspeople, and self-starters. ANXO will donate proceeds from happy hour for all of March to Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington.
The headline event, the second annual “Wild Night: The Story of Basandere,” takes place on March 8, which is also International Women’s Day. Members. Leaders of PPMW’s Developing Leader Program, a 9-month program designed to train the next generation of leaders in the reproductive rights movement, will help execute the event, which will highlight ways to get involved in the reproductive rights movement and information on staying on top of your reproductive health. All donations made during this event will benefit Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC. Donations can be made here: https://app.mobilecause.com/form/DgC8jA or by texting “ANXO” to 41-444.
On International Women’s Day, it is essential that we highlight reproductive healthcare, which is constantly under attack under this administration,” said Dr. Laura Meyers, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC said via a press release. “We are thankful for community partners like ANXO who support local reproductive rights.
ANXO will also be partnering with smaller non-profits to host a diverse roster of events featuring a variety of women-owned businesses and women-made products both within, and beyond the food and beverage world. Everything from the art on the walls to plates that the food is served on, will be sourced from female run businesses or craftspeople. For the entire month, only beverages made or owned by women will be poured from the 36 draft lines, as well as wine, liquor, and non-alcoholic offerings.
The full schedule of events (below) includes a Collaborative Dinner on Monday, March 4, featuring two-time James Beard semi-finalist Ilma Lopez, as well as a female bartender cocktail competition judged by beverage writer Darlene Hayes, a female artisan market, a networking event, female comic and more.
The women of ANXO’s staff have made two collaborative beverages that they will offer throughout the month. One, “Nevertheless, We Persisted” is with Vermont’s Eden Specialty Ciders. The other is more local and features a Brut IPA made with Silver Spring’s Denizens Brewing.
“The response to last year’s International Women’s day fundraiser for PPMW was so overwhelmingly positive from both attendees and producers alike that it got us thinking; why not do something bigger in 2019?” stated Rachel Fitz, co-founder of ANXO in a press release. “Given the current political climate, this feels like a particularly apt time to host an event series like this and celebrate the successes of these incredible women.”
The full calendar of events includes:
- 3/1 – Launch Event – Women’s Month Kickoff with Cider and Beer Releases
- 3/4* – Collaboration Dinnner – James Beard Semifinalist Ilma Lopez (Chaval, Piccolo); Cagla Onal (Green Almond Pantry); Amy Morgan (2 Amy’s, Etto); and Carlie Steiner (Himitsu)
- 3/7* – Apple Brandy Tasting – Lisa Laird Dunn of Laird & Co. plus snacks!
- 3/8* – International Women’s Day – Planned Parenthood fundraiser & ANXO/Eden collaboration “Nevertheless, We Persisted” can release
- 3/9* – Cider Cocktail Class – led by beverage writer Darlene Hayes
- 3/10 – Cocktail Competition – local bartenders go head-to-head
- 3/14 – Maryland Beer Night – featuring female-owned and operated breweries Denizens, True Respite, Checkerspot, Astro Lab, and Waredaca
- 3/18 – Networking Happy Hour – extended happy hour and business card swap
- 3/21 – New Belgium Brewing – featuring Transatlantique Kriek, Apple Loves Felix, and more!
- 3/23* – Cider Yoga – to benefit Girls on the Run
- 3/24* – Female Artisans’ Market – support talented local female artists
- 3/26 – Cider Tasting and Panel – featuring cidermakers Eleaner Leger (Eden), Elizabeth Ryan (Hudson Valley), Autumn Stoscheck (Eve’s), and Lori Leitzel Rice (Willow Oaks)
- 3/28 – Meet the Artist – Rhonisha D. Franklin Meet and Greet
- 3/31* – Closeout Comedy Brunch – featuring comedian Rosemary Cipriano and Bryce, includes four courses and optional drinks
* Tickets available at anxodc.eventbrite.com