Well, here we are, finally at DC Beer Week. We hope that your Sunday night was spent kicking things off right with any of the great events that took place. Here's our quick rundown of some event highlights for Monday, August 18 (check out the full list there).
In need of a laugh?
- Check out The Big Hunt's the Craft of Comedy event with Lagunitas, Ommegang, Atlas, and Flying Dog. This comedy/craft beer combo went super well during SAVOR Week, with some great local comics putting on a great show. The show is free and starts at 7pm. Come check it out!
Before comedy, you've also got some great options for happy hours tonight:
- Fan of Dogfish Head? Check out Scion Dupont which will be pouring a bunch of infused beers out of mini-Randalls. All kinds of wild combinations will flow; I highly recommend the following combos: 120 Minute w/ Rum Soaked Oak Chips, Indian Brown Ale w/ Coffee & Vanilla Beans, and Burton Baton w/ Salted Caramel Toffee
- The Black Squirrel kicks off its Pennsylvania trifecta happy hour tonight. This is a weeklong event featuring four Pennsylvania breweries. You pick which three of the four breweries will sell the most product at the Black Squirrel. And you are eligible to pick as many times as you like all week long. You do the picking and you could be the one doing the grinning if you claim one of the neat prizes being offered by the breweries, including private brewery tours, brewery gear and rare beers.
- Hank's Dupont is teaming up with Flying Dog to offer $5 brews and $1 oysters from 5-7pm as well as additional event-specific food and beer pairings
There's also a great education event tonight:
- Ever wonder why that delicate German pils went all skunky after just a few minutes in your glass? Well wonder no more. City Tap House has invited Tim Prendergast (@CellarmanDC), Beer Specialist for Kysela Pere et Fils Importers and owner of Caustic Solutions (@dcdraftbeer), to give a free off-flavors tutorial. Attendees will get to taste beer spiked with six of the most common off-flavors found in beer and learn about the likely causes of each. Perfect for beer fans studying for the Cicerone exam (http://ciceron
e.org/). The training is free for the public, but space is limited. To reserve a seat, email info@citytaphou sedc.com
Sour beer fan?
- Check out The Partisan's tap takeover of Mikkeller's spontan-ales series on draft. 6 different fruit flavors will be featured, along with two bold imperial stouts.