SAVOR returns to DC May 9-10. The week before this big event promises plenty of great events in the DC area. Although we have day-by-day line-ups posted, it may also be helpful for the #DCBrews community to check out what some players that are going above and beyond will be offering. Here are the events for The Black Squirrel (2427 18th Street NW). For more of DCBeer's #SAVOR Week coverage, click here.
Thursday, May 8 – 5pm
Get Your Funk On with Funkwerks and Perennial at The Black Squirrel
The brewing companies of Funkwerks and Perennial will be the featured guests of the Black Squirrel on Thursday (May 8th), in conjunction with SAVOR festivities. Most of these ales will be on the wild side just like Funky Cold Medina.
The Fort Collins, Co.,-based Funkwerks will wet the throats of patrons with:
- Saison Ale,
- Deceit Belgian-Style Golden Ale,
- Raspberry Provincial Wild Ale, and
- Solenna Belgian-Style Ale
While St. Louis, Mo., – based Perennial will tout:
- 2013 Anniversary (100% Brett fermented Aria aged in Vignoles wine barrels),
- Regalia Saison,
- La Boehme Flanders Oud Bruin, and
- IPA #5
Brewers and representatives of both companies will be in attendance at 7 p.m. The Black Squirrel chef plans to unveil an extremely funky burger topped with stinky cheeses that pair well with sour beers. And, for those in the know, every Thursday is Burger Night where our Classic Burger is half-priced all night.
Friday, May 9 – 5pm
Florida Invasion: Cigar City and Proof Brewing at The Black Squirrel
Get in on this rare opportunity to enjoy suds from Cigar City and Proof, two Florida breweries not yet available in the D.C. market, on May 9th, a Friday, starting at 5 p.m.
It all comes out to 10 tap lines of rare Florida beer, including Jai Alai IPA, Invasion Pale Ale, Florida Cracker White Ale, Key Lime IPA from Tampa’s Cigar City and from Proof Brewing, three of their highly sought after core beers, such as Guru IPA, Coffee Stout and PCB Pale Ale and two rare one-offs usually only available in their Tallahassee, Florida, brew-house tasting room.
Saturday, May 10 – 12pm
Shoot the Noon w/ Great Lakes' Cool Hand Luke at The Black Squirrel
He is the Cool Hand Luke of Cleveland – otherwise known as Luke Purcell, the head brewer of the Great Lakes Brewing Company – and he will grace the Black Squirrel with his presence on Saturday (May 10th), starting at noon. Meet this one Cool Hand and pick his brain on all things beer, while trying one or all of the following Great Lakes brew-house exclusives:
• Great Lakes Rally Drum Red Ale
• Great Lakes Triple Dog Dare
• Great Lakes Alberta Clipper Porter
• Great Lakes Rye of The Tiger IPA (seasonal)
No noon-time adventure is complete without a healthy plate of pub-style sustenance, as prepared by the Black Squirrel chef: a hangover burger, fried-egg poutine and migas (a cheesy egg and tortilla concoction).
Sunday, May 11 – 6:30pm
All 'Ale the Ladies 2014 at The Black Squirrel
Are you a lady who loves beer? Interested in learning more about the world of craft beer? Join D.C. beer writer Tammy Tuck at a post-SAVOR meet-and-greet with inspiring women in the craft beer industry including New Belgium co-founder Kim Jordan, All About Beer magazine co-owner Julie Johnson, author Lucy Saunders and Brewers Association craft beer program director Julia Herz.
Hear special guests talk about their paths into the beer profession. Learn about pairing beer with food while tasting beers selected by each speaker paired with hors d'oeuvres prepared by Black Squirrel's chef.
Connect with other women in the DC beer community and discover opportunities to learn about and enjoy craft beer.
$15 – 21+
Order tickets via Eventbrite:
- Kim Jordan – Co-founder & CEO, New Belgium Brewing
- Julie Johnson – Co-owner & Former Editor, All About Beer Magazine
- Julia Herz – Craft Beer Program Director, Brewers Association
- Lucy Saunders – Author, Dinner in the Beer Garden & The Best of American Beer and Food
- Rachel Murray – Beer Director, Bourbon Glover Park
- Erin Tyler – Asst. General Manager, Legends Limited Beer Distributing
- Jessica Muskey – Marketing Vice President, Premium Distributors of D.C.
- Kristi Mathews Griner – Head Brewer, Capitol City Brewing
- April Anderson – Brewer, Devils Backbone Brewing
- Ellie Tupper – Brewer & Co-founder, Tuppers' Beers
- Catherine Portner – Co-founder, Portner Brewhouse
- Mari Rodela – Co-owner, DC Brau Brewing
- Leah Cheston – Co-owner, Right Proper Brewing
- Lauren Nagy – Market Manager, Great Lakes Brewing
- Tammy Portnoy – Beer Guide, Port City Brewing
- Elizabeth Hartman – Vice President, DC Homebrewers Club; Co-founder, H.O.P.S.
- Elicia Belle – President & CEO, Beer Bunnies Int’l LLC
- Tara Nurin – Columnist, Ale Street News; Founder, Beer for Babes
- Tammy Tuck – Freelance writer; Columnist, Washington City Paper
- Amy Bowman – Co-owner, The Black Squirrel