DC Beer Week 2013 returns from August 11-18. Although we have day-by-day line-ups posted, it may also be helpful for the #DCBrews community to check out what some venues that are going above and beyond will be offering. Here are the events for Adams Morgan's The Black Squirrel. For more of DCBeer's DCBW coverage, click here.
Tuesday, August 13 at 5:00 PM – Tar Heel State Beer Invasion – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
North Carolina southern hospitality is coming to The Black Squirrel on Tuesday, August 13, starting at 5pm. The suds will be flowing, a string band will be playing, and Carolina-style barbeque is on the menu. To kick off the D.C. Beer Week festivities, The Black Squirrel will be pouring rare and out-of-market draft and bottled beer from eight Carolina breweries:
- Foothills Brewing (Winston-Salem): Jade IPA and People’s Porter
- Green Man Brewing (Asheville): Zero Dank Thirty American Black Ale, Gold Ale English Bitter, and Red Barcetta American Amber
- French Broad Brewing (Asheville): Kolsch
- Big Boss Brewing (Raleigh): Night Knight Black IPA, Hefeweizen, and Bad Penny Brown Ale
- Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston): Windowpane Raspberries, Smoked Lager, and Triple Overhead
- Aviator Brewing Company (Fuquay-Varina): High Voltage Pale Ale, Horse Power Imperial IPA and HotRod Red
- Pisgah Brewing (Asheville): Barleywine (bottle)
- Olde Hickory Brewing (Hickory): Death by Hops Imperial IPA (bottle)
Musicians include Christie Lenee and Bellwether Hall string band. Music starts at 8pm in the Tap Room. No cover charge to see the bands. Chef Brent Sick will add his creative touch to Carolina-style barbeque to complement the liquid treasure.
Wednesday, August 14 at 5:00 PM – Maryland Beer and Crab Fest – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
Old State Line breweries Stillwater, Monocacy, Brewer’s Alley, Union, Brewers’ Art, Oliver, Burley Oak, Evolution, DuClaw, and Baltimore Beer Works celebrate Maryland with specialty beer and a Maryland-style crab fest. This event also will launch the 12oz cans of Stillwater Classique. Meet the brewers from Burley Oak, Oliver, Monocacy, and Union Breweries. Chef Brent Sick will prepare a hard-shell Maryland crab boil as well as crab cakes for a taste of Maryland’s best.
Thursday, August 15 at 5:00 PM – New Belgium Beer and Burger Night Blow-Out – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
Burger night made better with New Belgium Brewing rarities, including PumpKick Ale, French Aramis IPA, Coconut Curry Hefeweizen, Yuzu Imperial Berliner Weisse, and Billy’s Beer. Serving ½-priced burgers on the Main Floor only. Come early for a spot.
Thursday, August 15 at 6:00 and 9:00 PM – New Belgium Sour Blending Workshop at The Black Squirrel- It’s Sour, It’s Funky, It’s Alive – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
New Belgium opens its wood cellar of rare wild ales for two exclusive sour beer blending workshops at The Black Squirrel’s Tap Room on Thursday, August 15th, starting at 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. New Belgium’s sensory specialist Lauren Salazar, regarded by many as a leading expert on wild ales, will show guests how to embrace the funk and blend a perfectly balanced sour beer. Tickets are $55.00 per person.
The price of admission includes:
- Samples of five rare wild ales from New Belgium’s wood cellar and a stainless-steel tasting container;
- New Belgium’s 2013 La Folie and a food pairing;
- A presentation during which Salazar explains the history of New Belgium’s sour beer program;
- A chance to make your own blended sour beer from four of New Belgium’s single-barrel bases.
Tickets for Session One (6:00 to 8:00 p.m.) http://newbelgiumsession1.eventbrite.com; Tickets for Session Two: (9:00 to 11:00 p.m.) http://newbelgiumsession2.eventbrite.com. A warning is necessary. These tickets are precious. Salazar is orchestrating only five of these events this year.
Friday, August 15 at 5:00 PM – Michigan: The Great Beer State – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
The Great Beer State descends upon The Black Squirrel for an evening of Michigan rarities from Founders, Jolly Pumpkin, New Holland, and Bell’s Brewing.
Many highly coveted suds will be pouring, including:
- Founders Brewing: Kentucky Breakfast Stout (2012 on draft and in bottles) and Oatmeal Stout
- Jolly Pumpkin Brewing: Lo Roja Wild Ale and Madrugada Obscura Dark Dawn Imperial Stout
- New Holland Brewing: Night Tripper Imperial Stout, Ichabod Pumpkin Ale, Beerhive Tripel, and Monkey King Saison
- Bell’s Brewing: Deb’s Red American Amber and Double Cream Stout
Chef Brent Sick will prepare venison burgers to accompany Michigan’s finest.
Saturday, August 16 at 12:00 PM – Great Lakes Run Deep – The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW
Wrap up DC Beer Week in style at The Black Squirrel with exceptional beer from Great Lakes Brewing, including:
- Christmas Ale
- Silver & Gold IPL Anniversary Ale
- Class of 88 Imperial Smoked Porter (Deschutes collaboration)
- Oktoberfest (DC launch. Served in 1 liter steins)
Chef Brent Sick will prepare Cleveland’s finest food pairings to go with these rare and exceptional suds.