That subtle drop in the mercury and the sudden reapparance of your favorite cardigan can mean only one thing: it's time for Oktoberfest. Or should I say Oktoberfests?
I should, because this year, there are more O'fests (and Harvest fests, Pumpkin parties, etc) than you can shake a stein at. Check out our handy synopsis for all things autumnal. And feel free to add anything we missed in the comments.
Baying Hound – Fall Equinox Festival – 1108 Taft St, Rockville, MD – Thursday 9/20 – Saturday 9/22, 12-10
- The guys will be pouring special fall releases from the brewery taps.
Redwood – 2nd Annual Oktoberfest – 7121 Bethesda Lane, Bethesda, MD – Saturday 9/22, 1-8
- Redwood takes over Bethesda row, showcasing 15 breweries, local restaurants, and a pie-eating contest.
Brewmaster's Castle and All Points West – Oktoberfest – 1317 New Hampshire Ave NW – Saturday 9/22, 2-5
- Chamber collective APW will perform German music while you sip on German brews in the castle of a German-American brewer. Very German.
Bar Dupont – Oktoberfest – 1500 New Hampshire Ave NW – Saturday 9/22 – Sunday 9/30, noon til close; music 9/23 2-7, 9/27 6-9; 9/28 6-10
- Paulaner & Sam Adams O'fest will flow, wurst & pretzels will abound, and polka music will be shredded on the patio-cum-biergarten.
Mad Fox – Oktoberfest – 444 West Broad St, Suite I, Falls Church, VA – Sunday 9/23, 11-6
- Mad Fox looks out for hopheads with an IPA-heavy O'fest: 25 beers from top regional breweries, German food, live music, and plenty of sunshine.
Big Hunt – Oktoberfest – 1345 Connecticut Ave NW – Monday 9/24, 4-close
- Barman extraordinaire Eric pours appropriate offerings from Avery, Port City, Great Lakes, Bell's, Schlafly, and Hofbrau (by pint or liter!). Brats & kraut too.
Boundary Road – Oktoberfest Menu Kickoff – 414 H St NE – Monday 9/24, 5-close
- O'fests and seasonals grace the taps/fridge while the kitchen cranks out schnitzel, spaetzle, and other German goodies; menu runs for about 2 weeks.
Jackson 20 – Oktoberfest Craft Canned Beer Dinner – 480 King St, Alexandria, VA – Thursday 9/27, 7-10
- Six courses will be paired with six craft cans, curated by Josef Fritz of Hop & Wine and drunk by you.
Pizzeria Paradiso – Autumn Fest – All locations – Monday 10/1 – Friday 10/5
- Pizza P is doing it all this year: all 3 venues are dedicating their lines to Oktoberfests, pumpkin beers, ciders, and harvest ales.
Capitol City Shirlington – 13th Annual Mid-Atlantic Oktoberfest – 4001 Campbell Ave, Arlington, VA – Saturday 10/6, 12-7
- Cap City hosts 50 breweries at the Village at Shirlington for a raucous, rain-or-shine affair.
Neighborhood Restaurant Group – Snallygaster – 3rd and Water St SE – Saturday 10/13, 1-5
- Food, music, family activities, and of course beer: O'fests, harvests, rarities, casks, Franconian kegs, and even beers brewed for the event.