You may remember that during SAVOR Beer Week, Jack Rose Dining Saloon and Victory Brewing Company teamed up with W. Curtis Draper Tobacconist to put on a cigar and beer pairing event. I was there and had an excellent time. Sure I’ve paired beer with all kinds of food before, but never cigars. I enjoyed the experience tremendously and it provided a new dimension of pairing possibilities for me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, insert Surgeon General’s warning here. Anyway, Jack Rose is back at it during DC Beer Week 2012. This time, Widmer Brothers gets in on the pairing action. CIGARMAGEDDON takes place tomorrow, here are the details:
Starting at 5pm. All full size beers $6 all night.
Enjoy the beers a la carte for $6 each and the cigars for $10 each or purchase a tasting package of three full beers with their complimenting cigar for $25. The Especial Robusto Package also offers a 1oz of Prichard’s Double Chocolate Bourbon for an additional $5.
Especial Robusto Negra
-Premium aged Nicaraguan fillers are aged alongside dark roasted Nicaraguan coffee beans that infuse the tobaccos with mellow aromatics. A slightly sweet maduro wrapper finishes this smoke that will play off the chocolate and espresso notes in the beer and bourbon. A great experience.
1. Widmer Marionberry Hibiscus Gose | Gose brewed w/ Hibiscus, Coriander and marion berries | 5.5% | OR
– Strong jam berry notes with slight salty finish
2. Widmer Pitch Black | Cascadian Dark Ale | 6.5% | OR
– roasty and piney hop
3. Widmer Raspberry Imperial Stout | Imperial Stout fermented w/ raspberries | 9.3% | OR
– Strong raspberry nose with dark chocolaty finish
Supplemental pairing with 1 oz Prichard’s Double Chocolate Whiskey – $5
Old Embalmer Barley Wine & La Casita Criolla H.C.B.C.
-The La Casita is a 100% Connecticut Broadleaf blend, rolled in Nicaragua. Rarely seen, this medium bodied, yet full flavored smoke, delivers flavors of anise, nuts, with hints of cinnamon and clove that appear throughout the smoke. These flavors should play nicely with the sweet notes of the barley wine.
1. Widmer Okto Festival Ale | Altbier | 5.3% | OR
– Malty, with floral notes and a crisp finish
2. Widmer Hefeweizen | Hefeweizen | 4.9% | OR
– Bright citrus and delicate clovey finish
3. Widmer Old Embalmer ’12 Barleywine Ale | Barleywine | 10.2% | OR
– Malty and fruity with notes of vanilla, and caramel finishing with floral yet earthy hop finish
Alec Bradley Black Market Toro
-Introduced to the market in the fall of 2011, Black Market quickly became AB’s best seller. A unique blend of Panamanian and Honduran fillers are covered by a dark oily Nicaraguan wrapper. This solid medium bodied cigar offers Nicaraguan spice that is a little dry on the palate, followed by a touch of citrusy sourness.
1. Widmer Drifter Pale Ale | American Pale Ale | 5.7% | OR
– slightly malty with mellow floral hop finish
2. Widmer Rotator IPA: Shaddock IPA | American IPA brewed w/ Grapefruit Peel | 6.2% | OR
– Strong grapefruit bitterness with piney finish
3. Widmer Nelson Imperial IPA | Imperial IPA brewed w/ Nelson Sauvin Hops | 8.6% | OR
– Strong bitter notes of melon, with malty sweet finish
But that’s not all, Jack Rose is also teaming up for tap takeovers with Sam Adams and Shmaltz. Info on these two events here:
SAM ADAMS MORGAN TAP-OUT
FRIDAY AUGUST 17TH STARTING AT 5PM
ALL SAM ADAMS BEERS $6 ALL NIGHT LONG
Sam Adams Tap Takeover – Always a good decision to spend your Friday night enjoying 10 specialty drafts from Sam Adams – To make the experience more memorable, Sam Adams himself (may or may not be actual Sam Adams, but instead a brewery representative dressed like him) will be on site at Jack Rose. With every full sized beer take home a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.
Sam Adams Boston Lager | Vienna Lager | 4.8% | MA
– caramel, toast, citrusy, piney,
Sam Adams Octoberfest | Octoberfest | 5.3% | MA
– Peppery and malty
Sam Adams Whitewater IPA | IPA brewed w/wheat malt and apricots | 5.8% | MA
– citrusy hop punch balanced by the subtle sweetness of apricots
Sam Adams Fat Jack | Imperial Pumpkin Ale | 8.5% | MA
– malty and a little roasty with sweet flavors of molasses and spices
Sam Adams New World | Triple | 10% | MA
– Tropical fruit and spice notes, like mango, pineapple, and clove, while the hops add a subtle herbal character
Sam Adams Belgian Session | Belgian Pale Ale | 4.3% | MA
– Spicy with candied fruity notes
Sam Adams Old Kentucky Ale | American Strong Ale aged on oak chips | 5.6% |
– Aroma of vanilla and toasted caramel combines with notes of mocha, toffee, and dates
Sam Adams Norse Legend | Sahti| 7% | MA
– Herbal, woodsy, and ripe citrus character of the juniper
Sam Adams East West Kolsch | American Blonde Ale | 5% | MA
– Crisp and refreshing
Sam Adams Black And Brew Coffee Stout | English Stout | 5.8% | MA
– Roasty, with strong chocolate and espresso notes
COME ONE! COME ALL!
CONEY ISLAND COMES TO DC!
SHMALTZ BREWERY TAKES OVER JACK ROSE ROOFTOP!
SATURDAY AUGUST 18TH STARTING AT 2PM
$6 FULL SIZED BEERS ALL DAY LONG
GAMES! PRIZES! LIVE PERFORMERS!
Join craft beer legend Jeremy Cowan and his rag-tag carney crew at Jack Rose on the roof-deck terrace as it is transformed into a true carnival.
15 incredible Shmaltz Beers on draft, actual beer floats, boozy snow cones, boozy cotton candy, and boozy candied apples also for sale. Enjoy carnival foods and play games and win prizes.
•Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner | German Pilsner brewed w/rye malt| 5% | NY
•Coney Island Lager ?| Vienna Lager | 5.5%| NY
•Coney Island Albino Python ?| Spiced Lager | 6% | NY
•Coney Island Sword Swallower ?| Imperial Pilsner | 6.8% | NY
•Coney Island Human Blockhead ?| Doppelbock | 10% | NY
•Coney Island Barrel-Aged Blockhead | Doppelbock aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrels for 5 months | NY
•Coney Island Geektoberfest 2011 | a blend of barrel-aged Human Blockhead, barrel-aged Lenny’s R.I.P.A. and He’Brew Jewbelation 13 | 10%| NY
•He’brew Genesis Dry Hopped Session Ale ?| American Pale dry-hopped with
•He’brew Hop Manna Ipa ?| American IPA dry-hopped w/ Centennial, Cascade and Citra Hops | 6.8% | NY
•He’brew Rejewvenator 2010: Year Of The Grape | Dubbel brewed w/ Concord Grape Juice | 8.2% | NY
•He’brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A. | American Strong Ale | 10% | NY
•He’brew Jewbelation 10 (2006) | American Strong Ale brewed w/ 10 Malts and 10 Hops | 10% | NY
•He’brew Funky Jewbelation ?| A blend of 6 vintages of Jewbelation beers aged 73% in rye whiskey barrels and 27% in bourbon barrels | 9.8% | NY
•He’brew Vertical Jewbelation | A blend of Jewbelations 8-14 aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels | 10.5% | NY
•He’brew Reunion 2012: A Beer For Hope (Collaboration With Terrapin Beer Co. & Sbs Imports) | Imperial Brown Ale brewed w/ cocoa nibs, vanilla & cinnamon | 8% | NY