DC Brews News and Upcoming Events
- Brewbound’s Brew Talks at Penn Social included topics of the Federal Excise Tax on gallons of beer, as well as how the trade war with China is affecting the brewery industry
- Wednesday, 5/22: B Side hosting “Beer for Wine Lovers” event
- Memorial Day Weekend Events
- Bluejacket pouring Metal Guru all weekend long, beginning at 12 pm each day
- Dirt Farm Brewing hosting a weekend-long party
- Port City has events on Saturday, 5/25
- City Tap Penn Quarter hosting Summer Kickoff Party on Monday, 5/27
- Tuesday, 5/28: Tuesday Brewsday at Kramers
Taxes and Tariffs: Brewers Association in 2019
Adam and Richard (the Brew Daddies) are joined by Bob Pease, CEO of the Brewers Association. Bob gives the two a rundown on how SAVOR got started, the aim, and what the future might hold.
Currently, the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2019 is a hot topic in the brewing industry. Bob relates the Association’s effort to extend the Act and, possibly, making its benefits permanent. Take a look at House Bill H.R.1175 and Senate Bill S.362 for more.
As of now, in the United States, small brewers only have two suppliers to choose from when purchasing cans for their product. Bob explains the hardships that the current steel and aluminum tariffs are putting on small brewers, and how they are adapting.
Finally, what is the definition of a craft brewer? Does it include malt beverages, ciders, spiked seltzers, kombucha, and other fermented beverages? The Brewer’s Association defines who they view as a craft brewer, and Bob shares that definition and the recent updates to it.