Here's the opening beer list for GBD, which will start pouring beers at 5:30p tonight. The list is separated into "drinking," "fried chicken," and "donut" beers.
- Shift – "A Rotating Homage to the Closing Brew" (Note: not New Belgium's Shift)
- Victory – Braumeister Pils
- Ballast Point – Sculpin
- DC Brau – On the Wings of Armageddon
- WinterCoat – Imperial IPA (Cask)
Fried Chicken Beers
- Brasserie De la Senne – Band of Brothers
- The Bruery – Hottenroth
- Brauhaus Hartmannsdorf – Gose
- Perennial Artisan – Saison de Lis
- Fullsteam – Beasley's Honey White
- Stillwater Artisanal Ales and De Struise – Jaded
- Firestone Walker – Wookey Jack
- Maine Beer Company – Mean Old Tom (nitro)
- Founders – Porter
- Brasserie Trois Dames – Bise Noire a la Menthe
- Boulevard – Coffee Ale
- Allagash – Curieux
- De Struise Brouwers – Pannepot
- Brouwerij Smisje – Smisje Oudenaarde Oud Bruin
Last week, Chris and I had the opportunity to check out GBD, the Neighborhood Restaurant Group's latest endeavor. The restaurant, specializing in donuts and fried chicken is on Connecticut Avenue down the street from the Big Hunt. GBD, which stands for "golden, brown, and delicious," qualities of great food nearly everywhere but especially in the case of fried chicken and donuts.
At the media night, Chris and I had the opportunity to check out the drafts, try some of the myriad punches being served, and of course devour both donut and poultry offerings. In an effort to spare you the food review you could find in a million other DC foodie hangouts this week, let's just say the spot is going to be busy, and for good reason.
So food aside, what of the beer? We'll have the opening day draft menu for you as soon as it becomes available, but during the preview beers like Maine Brewing Company's Mean Old Tom, Ballast Point Sculpin, and offerings from, among others: Victory, Allagash, Boulevard, Firestone Walker, DC Brau, Fullsteam, and The Bruery.
If you remember, last fall, we as a staff participated in some speculation about what the beer menu at the then-unnamed GBD would contain. Props to Jake Berg who correctly predicted Mean Old Tom, the malty vanilla-scented stout that will be a regular on the draft rotation.
We'll report back and update this once the draft list is updated, but in the meantime, here are some pictures from media night to check out.
Taps are a little blurry. Rest assured, they are actually taps.
Main attaction. Fried chicken bucket with fried drums and crispy chicken tenders. Sauces: buttermilk ranch, mumbo sauce, cornichon tartar sauce, and a really umami Asian inspired sauce.
Big hit of the evening was this delicious bao with pickled vegetables.
So I'm realizing that I don't have any pictures of donuts. That's kind of a problem. If you need to know what donuts look like, be sure to click here.