Name: 3 Stars Brewing Company
Address: 6400 Chillum Place NW
General Description: Founded by two best friends, a beer director and a gearhead, 3 Stars Brewing’s beers are unapologetically big, bold, brash, and often boozy. Fans of subtler styles will find that even 3 Stars’ saisons are very hoppy or have elements like basil or lemon peel or both. 3 Stars also is dedicated to its burgeoning barrel program from which it blends different beers to make new brews. Their Illuminati Reserve Society gives rare beer fans a chance to buy in for special releases throughout the year. They also house the DC Homebrew Shop and sell equipment for new and experienced homebrewers.
Year Opened: 2012
Type: Production brewery
- Peppercorn Saison (Saison / 6.5%) - Fruity, effervescent farmhouse ale with some spicy herbal notes from yeast and a tricolor blend of peppercorns.
- Pandemic (Imperial Porter / 9.6%) - Massive roast, chocolate, coffee, and vinous notes combine without being too acrid. Deceptively boozy.
- Southern Belle (Imperial American Brown Ale / 8.7%) - Toasted pecans lend this huge malty brown ale nuttiness. Smooth mouthfeel with just a touch of coffee in the background.
- The Movement (American Pale Ale / 5.9%) - Dry-hopped with whole leaf Centennial, The Movement is a big floral and fruity rendition of a classic American style.
- Two to the Dome (Double India Pale Ale / 8%) - Like biting into a tropical fruit. Huge juicy aromas and flavors from a large Citra addition.
- Harvester of Sorrow (Cabernet Barrel Aged Saison / 6%) - A staff favorite and a rarity. Red wine and oak notes pair perfectly with the peppery bite of the saison. One of the best beers brewed in the District.
Growler Hours: Thursday 5-8pm, Friday 4-8pm, Saturday 1-5pm, Sundays 12-4pm
Tours?: Saturday, 2pm-3pm